4.20.2010

Bánh mì CHALLENGE!


As I was walking towards a more popular sandwich joint I saw this cute little spot with seating. The weather was overcast and it was about to rain and I didn't feel like eating outside or taking anything to go. I stepped in and it was empty but the woman behind the counter greeted me immediately. I had no reluctance at this point and happily ordered. There are also a lot of other good looking prepared foods wrapped up and ready to go. I wanted to eat it all! I took a seat closest to the window and the door facing the street. The woman called me in a couple minutes and my sandwich was ready. She was really nice and has a warm smile. I'd be happy, too, if I made tasty sandwiches all day.
I sit back down, settle in, and open up the wrapping to get this. I have to admit, the whole time I was thinking of Viking's tofu and how I feel like everything pales in comparison now. This was a great sandwich and I have yet to have one made poorly. A couple of people came in and were very talkative with the woman behind the counter. I ate the whole sandwich and it was very satisfying. I handed my tray over to the woman when I was done and she thanked me.
This place has a nice atmosphere. It's not exactly the cleanest place but it comes with the territory. It was nice to be able to sit down in a spacious setting versus being crammed into a store and taking it to go. I would recommend this place to people who haven't been here before because it's a calm atmosphere and the prices are a little cheaper than most places. I will definitely go back.

---

Saigon Sandwich, Tenderloin, San Francisco

I'm sure every knows and loves this place. It almost feels like overkill for me to review this place again since Mark has already reviewed the same sandwich before. Of course, when I got there it was crowded with a line outside the door. Everyone was very quiet and some people were taking photos while the two ladies behind the counter made each sandwich. It's really hypnotizing to watch even if your stomach is grumbling. I got to order after ten minutes of waiting. They were very quick and you can tell everyone is just waiting in anticipation that their sandwich is coming up. After ten minutes more (and another person claiming my sandwich was theirs) I finally got the yummy bundle in my hands! And then I'm out the door...
I took a seat on the street just a block away where it seems a lot of other people enjoy their lunches, too. It was a nice, warm sunny Friday and I was ready to chow down. I unwrapped it and immediately had buyer's remorse. Don't get me wrong, I loved this sandwich but I felt like I should have ordered something other than the tofu since I get it all the time and I've never had bánh mì with real meat. What delicious meats have I been missing out on all these years?! Either way, I enjoyed my sandwich and was able to enjoy a good show of the people, cars, and bikes going about their merry ways. I wonder if anyone was going to get a sandwich just up the road?
Either way, yes, this place is awesome. Of course, I will be back to taste more of their sandwiches. Everyone loves this place and rightly so but I think it's time for me to expand my boundaries in the sandwich area.

---

Since this was a challenge between Wrap Delight and Saigon Sandwich I'd have to say that...both were really good for what they are. I still think it's difficult to screw up this sandwich. It is almost delicious by default. Both places can make the sandwich in a reasonable amount of time but it depends if you would want to sit in or take it to go. I'd also like to point out that they are also on the same street, too. If you haven't been to Wrap Delight it's worth checking out but if you don't want to, well, you can't go wrong with Saigon Sandwiches.

2 comments:

  1. I walked by there the other day while on my jury duty selection lunch break. I was on my way to Saigon Sandwich when I walked by this place and I have to admit I was very tempted. But the last time I had gone to Siagon Sandwich (actually the only time I had gone), AW and I shared a few so we could sample as much as they had to offer and I was craving just having a whole one to myself, so I walked on figuring if I was picked for jury duty I could always try that spot too. I'm glad you went and liked it, I'll have to make a point of venturing over there now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had lunch at vikings today. i've been walking by that place for years but had never eaten there before. that tofu vietnamese sandwich is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete