8.10.2011

summer sandwiches: reggie deluxe & regina from pine state in portland

 
Pine State Biscuits, 3640 Southeast Belmont Street, Portland

I'm just going to get this out of the way and spoil the ending of the review: this was the best sandwich I ate in Portland and one of the best sandwiches I've had in a good long time.  How could it not be??  The Reggie Deluxe (above) was my pick, and it was fried chicken, a fried egg, bacon, cheddar cheese, and gravy, on a biscuit.  I don't need to tell you that it was AMAZING.  The biscuits were very good, light and fluffy and not at all dry and clinging to your teeth and filling up your mouth with dense dough like biscuits usually are.  I almost chickened out and ordered something less likely to cause me to die the second I'd finished eating, but then I gave in to LIFE and BEING ALIVE and ate this ridiculously delicious sandwich.  My pal (occasional breadxbread correspondent and new Portland resident Rob) got the Regina, since he isn't as suicidally devoted to sandwiches as I am.  His sandwich consisted of a fried egg, collard greens, and hot sauce, on a biscuit.  It was very, very good, and if you don't want something that will shorten your lifespan by years in one shot, it is just as good a choice as the Reggie Deluxe.  I'm impatient to go back and try the McIsley (fried chicken, pickles, mustard & honey) the next time I'm in Portland.  I'm sure my arteries are less excited.  Many thanks to (occasional breadxbread correspondent) Jen for the recommendation!

No comments:

Post a Comment