7.21.2009

fred's steak sandwich

This lovely little number here is something I ate a couple of months back at my parents' house (yeah, I got a little bit of a backlog going on right now). The meat is leftover steak from the previous night's dinner, a celebration of my little brother's graduation from high school. On special occasions, my family likes to cook "Fred's Steak", which is a blackened and marinated steak sold at Schaub's Market at the Stanford Shopping Center. Probably my favorite meal in the whole world is barbecued Fred's Steak and my mom's homemade potato salad, eaten outside on a warm night. But! That is not a sandwich. And so, thanks to the remarkable self-control of everyone in my family, allowing there to be any leftover steak at all, I was able to throw together a steak sandwich the next day. As far as I can tell, the primary flavor in Fred's Steak is "salty". I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I couldn't tell you what. Just that it tastes salty, and really, really good. And the leftovers are just as good as when it is freshly grilled. I do like cold steak very much; although I lack the technical know-how to properly understand it, I guess the fat coagulates, and the meat becomes firm and somehow easier to bite through. I didn't add too much to this sandwhich, so as not to distract from the meat, but the sourdough bread was quite good, the muenster cheese was not overly flavorful, the dijon mustard added a little spice and the mayonnaise added a little sweetness. It was a tasty sandwich- but (between you and me)- if it weren't for the sake of the sandwich blog, I would've just eaten the leftover steak plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment